Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Extreme Couponing + Krazy Coupon Lady= My Little Obsession

Ok, so some of you know I've started, du du du, Couponing! And I don't know if its the athlete in me, or maybe I really do like a challenge, but I'm kinda obsessed. Not to the point where I've walked out of the story with a cart full of groceries for $20- but I feel it comin! And I can't fully break it down because I'm still a "Coupon Virgin" BUT I did want to share some of my favorite things that have been super helpful so far.
Ok, first of all, if you're really serious about becoming a Krazy Coupon Lady, get this book: Pick Another Checkout Lane, Honey. Its by the Girls who run the Krazy Lady Coupon website. I've had the book for over a month and just started reading it last week. It's VERY helpful. It breaks everything down and makes the whole "Coupon Process" so much easier to understand. You'll definitely want to make a Coupon Binder, this is the key. I use to have my coupons in an accordion file thing and sometimes I'd have it with me, sometimes it was at home, sometimes in the car, rarely where it needed to be when I needed it...there's a whole chapter about why you really need a binder. It's all about being organized so that when you're in the store and see a sale you can get to your coupons easily.
The key about Krazy Couponing is Stacking. You want to stack a Manufacture Coupon with a Store Coupon while the item is on sale. Although you don't always have to do this. You can still get good deals with 1 coupon + a sale.

For Example :)
The other night I went to Walgreens for Swim Diapers.
Originally they're $9.99
They were on sale for $6.99
I had a Manufacture Coupon for $2 off one pack of Swimmers
I also had a Walgreens Coupon for $2 off one pack of Swimmers
That made my total $2.99
AND the day before I bought 2 packs of diapers that gave me a $3 Walgreens rewards (its a coupon that prints off when you're finished paying and its good for your next purchase.)
I used the $3 "Catalina" (that's what these type of coupons are called. Ya know, like when you're at Albertsons and they hand you your receipt with some long coupons that print of with your receipt-those are called Catalinas)
Soooo, I walked out of Walgreens with the Swimmers for Free! (Well I had to pay about 40cents in tax, but that's fine with me!)
Also, the website is VERY helpful. They break all the stores down and highlight good sales and hot items. They also have a facebook page and if you "Like" it, the hot items constantly pop up in your news feed. It's very helpful.
One of the hot items that I saw in my newsfeed was "Similac for Free"
So I read that there were $5 Coupons for any Simliac item and the Ready-Made Formula that's usually $6.99 was on sale at CVS for $4.99. So with the $5 coupon it would be free! Well I didn't have any of those coupons-because I'm just starting out and still need to work on getting 4-6 sets of coupons each Sunday :), but you can buy coupons in bulk from eBay. So I found someone selling 10 of the $5off coupons. I bought those for $10. And it was actually a really popular listing. There was like 10 different listings for the same coupons, they were going like hotcakes!
So I got my coupons but didn't make it to CVS before the sale was over. No problem, Ralphs had them on sale for $5.99, so I had to pay 99cents a bottle, which is still a steal! And I heard Walmart has them for $5.49, so I could've gone there...
At Ralphs I bought 10 bottles, used 10 $5off coupons and got all of them for $10(plus the $10 I spent at eBay, so I really spent $20 but I got $60 worth of formula). When I was there they also had a bunch of colgate toothbrushes and toothpaste on sale for 88cents and I had a couple $1off coupons for them so I ended up with 2 toothbrushes and 2toothpastes for free! FYI- the SoCal Ralphs doubles coupons. Awesome!!
So if I was REALLY good I would've gotten that all for Free, but I will as I get better! If you're really serious about couponing, get the Book, get on the Website and Like their Facebook page. The first few weeks are a little overwhelming, but its just cause its a lot of information. So if you get frustrated or overwhelmed just stop for the night. No big deal. Eventually you'll only spend about an hour or 2 getting all your coupons together and saving lots :) It took me a good month to really understand everything and feel comfortable. Now I'm a little Sales Scout. Lol. Its fun trying to figure it all out to see what I can get for Free. My biggest focus is getting my groceries as cheap as possible. Its easy to get beauty supplies for cheap, so I need to get better at the food side of couponing. Although, anytime I can get a free nail polish I'm all over it!
Sooo, if you have any questions feel free to shoot them my way. I can't promise I can answer them, but if I can't we can work together to figure it out because I'm sure its one I need to know the answer to too!

No comments:

Post a Comment