Thursday, January 6, 2011

Kallen Gentry is Here!!!

 I am soooo glad I didn't make it to 39 weeks :) What's even better than that is sitting here looking at my TWO KIDS sleeping next to each other on the couch. Ahhh, couldn't be happier!
Note: If you don't like reading about things like dilation and epidurals this definitely isn't the post for you ;)

So we started moving our stuff into our new place on the 28th. I was able to leave Raya with her Nana and Grandma during the day just about everyday which was so very helpful. I literally could do about 20 minutes of work and I had to rest. SO ANNOYING! Our big New Years Eve plans consisted of Gentry taking over bedtime duties with Raya so I could soak in the tub. When I got out I started having very mild contractions- just like I did with Raya. I decided to time them and they were getting closer together and a bit stronger. I timed them for about 2 hours and was pretty sure we'd be leaving for the hospital in the next few hours, so I decided to go lay down and try and get some rest (and a few more hours of cuddle time with Raya) before we left for the hospital. Well, I fell asleep and woke up about 3 hours later. My contractions had totally gone away. Dang! I really thought I was going to have a 1.1.11 baby! Anyways, the next day I had no contractions. On Jan 2nd I woke up in the worst pain of my entire pregnancy. I was Ab.So.Lute.Ly over it! As much as I didn't want to be induced I just couldn't take it anymore. At dinner that night I decided I would call my doctor first thing in the morning and go in and see her and set up the first available time to be induced. I consulted with my other doctors that night (WebMD and I read a bunch of different girl's stories about being induced and the pros and cons. I started to get a little freaked out. I have no idea why, but I felt so guilty deciding when Baby Boy was going to come. I have no judgement towards other that chose to do that, and I was so surprised by how much it bugged me, but none the less it did and I didn't know if i could do it. After reading all the stories I was leaning more towards not being induced, but I was still going to see my Dr first thing in the morning and see what she had to say. I really like my doctor and trusted her opinion, so I felt comfortable telling her how I felt and that I was struggling with the idea of being induced but I just couldn't take being pregnant anymore. So at 11:30 I went to bed.

2:30am-Gentry comes to bed. I woke up a little when I heard him come in, and I also felt a bit of a contraction. I thought I just had to pee, so I made my way to the bathroom and by the time I got back I was getting a 3rd contraction that was pretty uncomfortable. I stood there for a minute and got another one. By about the 5th contraction I knew we were going to the hospital. I called my mom and told her to come asap. By the time she got to the house to pick up Raya only 15 minutes had past, but in those 15 minutes my contractions had become intense! I was trying to "walk them out" while I waited for Raya to get loaded in the car and for Gentry to finish loading our things. So we're all ready to go, and at this point my contractions were strong enough that I had to stop everything and just try and breath. In between contractions in the car I was laughing because Gentry was running all the red lights and I was sure we'd get pulled over. But, and I really thought about this as we were driving, if we did get pulled over that'd just make my labor story even better ;) At some point we decided that it was totally legal to put your flashers on and run red lights if your passenger was in labor. I asked Gentry to drop me off at the door of the emergency room because I needed to get in asap so I could get my EPIDURAL! That was really the only thing I could think about. I'm pretty sure I said "I'm ready for my epidural" to every nurse that talked to me just to make sure they knew I was super serious and they should probably get someone on that, like, NOW.
 3:30am- I'm checked in and in the delivery room. My contractions are sooooo strong. They're coming about a minute apart and lasting a minute. I remember the nurse trying to ask me all kinds of questions so she could fill my chart out and the only thing I could think to say was "Unless I can answer those questions with a four letter word you're gonna have to wait until the epidural kicks in." I didn't experience contractions like this with Raya.  The first time they checked me I was 6cm dilated. They called my doctor to come in and started preparing for delivery. I started typing a text message to update my family, and by the time I could finish the text and send it I was 9-10cm dilated! 

4:30am- My epidural is in full effect and I feel amazing! I could now answer the nurse's questions without using a single curse word and my doctor was in. She checked me out and broke my water. I was completely dilated and I'd probably start pushing soon. Gentry and I watched a little tv, facebooked and text our family and friends, duh :) 

5:00am- My doctor comes in to tell me I'll probably start pushing in the next 20 minutes. My epidural this time was very different than the one I had with Raya. When I was getting ready to push with Raya I could feel my contractions and could feel my body wanting to push. With this baby I felt nothing! My Dr didn't really like that so she had them turn down my epidural, but I still felt nothing :) 

5:30am- My doc comes back and they prepare the room for delivery! I start pushing at about 5:45 and Kallen came at 5:57am!!!! It was a very fast labor and delivery. I felt so so so very lucky. I'm not kidding, my entire pregnancy just about every wish I made had to do with a fast, easy, healthy labor. So thank you wish master for granting that wish!!!! When Kallen came out my doctor and all the nurses made comments about his size. Lol. They were like "Oh yah, this kid is easily 8lbs." The baby nurse said, "8lbs?! Oh no, that kid is at least 9!" I thought she was joking because my doctor has measured me a week earlier and I wasn't measuring much bigger than a 8lb baby. Sure enough they put him on the scale and he was 9lbs 2oz!!!! That was so reassuring to me. I would've been so ANNOYED if I had been in such pain for the whole pregnancy and popped out a 7lb baby.
So the baby nurse cleaned him up next to me. My other nurse finished my chart while I gave her a mini makeup lesson. And then I got him back!!! 
Kallen Gentry
Born Jan 3 2011 @ 5:57am
9lbs 2oz and 19.5in long
 We were all healthy and happy and I couldn't ask for anything more! They moved me to my room that I would stay in until I left. I just want to RUN! I couldn't believe how great I felt. I forgot what it felt like to feel "light." I just want to jump and do squats and power walk all around. Of course I didn't :) But it was still an amazing feeling to have that baby out of me! I was able to leave the hospital early, so we checked out the next day. I missed Raya, and wanted to be home with her. 

So that's the labor story! My facebook album is here: Kallen Gentry is Here!
I'll post more about what Kallen soon :) He's just perfect!


  1. I cant wait to meet him. So thankful you had a great labor. I truely believe epidurals are God's gift. Makes having a baby enjoyable ;-) love you kels and congrats!
    Love Amy

  2. I'm SO in love with Kallen! He's beautiful and so are you KB! I love you more than I could ever express to you! You're amazing girl! I'm so lucky to have you. Gentry and you are my favorite couple! God Bless your family!