Thursday, April 19, 2012

Bye Bye P-Fi

Ok, so part of the reason I blog is to record milestones in my babies' lives. I'm like half way done with Raya's baby book and haven't even started Kallen's (poor second borns). So hopefully when I finally get around to finishing them I'll be able to check here and see what happened when!

With that said, Raya had a milestone she should be very proud of. She totally gave up her pacifier! Cold turkey. And completely by herself. She went to bed without it 2 nights in a row and on Day 3 found one on the floor, put it in her mouth and then chucked it across the room (literally) and told me, "Mama, its not working." That was pretty much it. About a week later in the car she asked for it once, but other than that it was the easiest thing ever! And I so wish I was here telling you about the most brilliant idea I had about how to get her to stop, but it was all her. She's brilliant, obviously :)


And I think part of me also wanted to write this for my friends with new babies or babies on the way. When your kid is a "pacifier kid" so many people have so much to say about it and guess what, ITS NOT A BIG DEAL! For the most part I was pretty lucky to not have people badgering me about letting my almost 3 year old still use one or always asking when I was going to take it away from her. I still got it a little here and there, but there were always other Mom's at the park so worried about it with their kid. Yes, I was a little worried too. Raya was SOOOO attached to her "P-fi" and I imagined the withdrawals she'd have when I decided to take it away would be similar to those of a crack addict coming down from a high and realizing there was no more. Yah, it was that serious. Her pacifier was a true soother for her. She's so amped up all the time and as soon as she popped it in her mouth she would chill out. So she needed it just as much as I needed her to need it ;) But I wasn't worried she'd go to Kindergarten with it and for the most part it didn't bug me that she used it. It was the outsiders that it bugged. LOL! So, just a little PSA to my friends out there...Its really not a big deal if your kid uses one, and I PROMISE, they will eventually give it up. So if you're dreading taking it away, don't! Let them decide when they're over it. We started giving her "times" she could have it- like nap time and bed time- but that wasn't set in stone and there were plenty of times she was playing in the backyard with it in her mouth. She's a totally happy, independent, well adjusted little girl, so if a pacifier was one of the "worst" things I had to deal with with her I considered myself incredibly lucky (and a pretty good Mom :)


 Oh, I almost forgot. She also stopped twisting her hair! She's twisted it so badly that the left side of her head is substantially thinner and shorter than the other side. I was sure she'd have a huge bald spot in a few months, but when she gave up her pacifier she gave that up too!



So Good Job Ms. Raya! I didn't imagine you'd start your 3rd year of life without your trusty P-Fi, but you did! You're awesome girlfriend!

A little history (you don't have to read this, but I want to remember it :)
Raya didn't use a pacifier until she was 14months old. She found one in a drawer somewhere and started using it. It was a blessing to me because at that point she'd use it and fall asleep by herself. So I was totally on board. It made nap time and bed time sooooo much easier. As she got older it became quite the "soother" and if she was fussy or tired or throwing a tantrum she'd be completely ok once she found her pacifier. It was also the only thing she was attached to. Like REALLY attached to. To the point that we would stop at a store and get one if we forgot it at the house because we didn't want to feel the "Wrath of Raya" when she figured out we didn't have one. In the last few months she got really particular about them. She'd sometimes bite it and if her teeth made the teeniest hole or slightest crack in it she'd refuse to use. So we kept a "secret" stash of new ones for emergency purposes because if it was bedtime and there wasn't one to her liking, none of us would be sleeping. HAHAHA!! I know, some of you think I'm crazy, but I pick my battles people. And if keeping fresh pacifiers stocked meant a good nights sleep and a happy kid, then I'm stocking up! If only they sold those suckers at Costco....
So yah, thats the P-Fi story! I hope some parent or grandparent out there will sleep a little easier tonight knowing the Pacifier Battle isn't one to be worried about :)

This was her at 14months with the pacifier she found- and used for awhile. LOL! Its a "Grill" my friend Megan gave me at my baby shower. Hilarious!!! Can you image pulling up next to me at the grocery store and Raya siting in the cart with this. It was a tiny bit embarrassing :)

PS- Stay tuned for a HUGE announcement coming in the next 24 hours!!!

1 comment:

  1. Yay Raya! My Raya gave hers up really easy too. I'm not even worrying about it with Brielle---seems like they know when the right time is!

    Huge announcement?? Are your pregnant?!?! ;-)

    ReplyDelete